Have a nice day readers...!!!

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Nagerkovil & Nungu sarbath...

 During my childhood days, when we visited to my native, I heard about nungu sarbath. It is available only in the district of Kanyakumari and may be you will find such sarbath stalls till you reach tirunelveli.


 I had tasted it once, the blend of sarbath with ice and nungu was really good. When i informed my best half (yes.. not just better half..) about it, he wanted to taste that.


Below is the picture of sarbath we took during our recent trip there.








Sarbath was horrible. Mainly the reason was, we saw how it was prepared.


We were under impression that they will take the nungu from the big shell , peel of skin and mix it with sarbath and smash it with some sort of smasher or mixer. But to our shock it was not done that way. The lady just took two tablespoon of peeled off nungu pieces with the water and poured them into tumbler directly and pour a tablespoon of sarbath and filled up the remaning space of tumbler with water. mixed it with spoon and handed it to us.


A sarbath without ice.. uhh.. people would say , the chilli bajji if consumed after it cooled down will taste like a sweet cake . How can you drink a juice like this without the chilling. The lady said ice was over.  The water she had in shop was also warm due to the hot climate.


Ultimately we ended up having something which was purely our bad luck. Dhanesh appa emptied the cup as he does not have the habit of wasting food though it does not taste good.


When I was discussing this with my sister and she was telling that there are stalls which will sell fruit juice. Its not the normal fruit juice. I guess it is a mix up of fruit juice. I'm not sure if that is also mixed with sarbath. I said I don't want to try that. By that time, my mother responded that it will be tasty, she had it years back. I replied, to my mom. It tasted good years back like the nungu sarbath I had. Now that will also be horrible. I don't want to try that.


Tips:


* Never look into the process how it is prepared be it the road side stall or hotel. you would not like to eat it if you do so.
* Ask for requirements clearly before placing an order. A Sarbath could not be had without ice, like we have other fruit juices.


-- Dhanesh Amma

No comments:

Post a Comment