Have a nice day readers...!!!

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Crow calls


A crow was making a call , when Dhanu was chatting with me. He told me, "Ma, crow is making sound"

I replied him, "Yes. It is calling another fellow crow by making sound as 'kaw kaw'"

I was thinking that, he would then ask me a question, why it is calling another crow.
However he responded, "No amma. you are wrong. it is not calling 'kaw kaw', it is calling "Kraw Kraw".

He was not ready to accept crow will call as kaw kaw. He said, "listen carefully again. It is saying 'Kraw Kraw' only.

In fact, during my child hood days, I too have observed and thought , crow is making sound as Kraw, may be that's why it is referred as Crow in english but we tamilians refer as Kagam or Kakka in tamil.

On a second thought, Instead of  "kaw kaw" what if we call as "kraw kraw" ? I am sure crow would be right in front of us to pick the food. Readers may give a try if you are not ready to believe me.

Crow has different types of calling based on situation. refer to the link here  for hearing its different calls

Conversation with Dhanu on Crow made me recollect the happenings during my school days.

 We used to feed crows and few became regular visitors to our home at morning 8AM when we have breakfast. They would keep calling till we open back door and give food. We give some snack be it a papad or  biscuit when food is not ready or available at home.

Appa would keep food for crows and sit for breakfast. When we have food, few crows would come and empty the food we had kept. It would keep calling us to give more. Appa , who does not will to move out to keep food, would toss out the idly pieces. Some crow would pick and fly away, some would pick and sit on compound wall and eat.  One crow would just pick the food , come to door and sit on the wooden frame on floor and eat. I am sure it was ready to come inside the room and dine with us.

We cannot just like that identify a crow from group of crows, But crows can identify us easily.

The crow had well acquaintance with us and became a pet bird. It would not fear to come near us and pick the food from our hands. I even shot a photo of my sister feeding that crow.

--Dhanesh Amma


No comments:

Post a Comment